Saturday, March 17, 2007

Why Ride? Tree Marsoobian

There is a special bond created, in my opinion, to those you share an experience such as paramedic school. Eric was one of those individuals for me. Eric was one of the quieter in our class but his strong drive to help others was quite evident. He was extremely unique in his demeanor and his compassion for others and life was unlike any other.

The morning of October 10, 2006, I was getting off of work. We had received a page shortly before leaving the station stating an ambulance MVA in Travis County did not involve one of our (A/TCEMS) ambulances. The off-going and on-coming crews were both watching the TV at the station to see exactly what EMS service was involved in the accident. The news report stated that there was an accident working in southwest Travis County of a Marble Falls ambulance and a pick-up truck. They went on to further state that one of the paramedics in the ambulance had died on scene. The overwhelming sense of tragedy that one feels over an accident like this is beyond words, not only for it to be a fatality but a line of duty death of a fellow paramedic. It was during my drive home when I was calling several of my friends that worked out in Marble Falls that I learned Eric was the driver that had been killed and another friend of mine, Kyla Wilson (the paramedic passenger), was being rushed to the trauma center in Austin. The driver of the pick-up truck died later that morning in the emergency room.

Approximately a week after Eric’s funeral, I was reading an issue of JEMS (Journal of Emergency Medical Services) when I came across an article on the EMS Memorial Bike Ride. I have a personal history of coupling passionate social issues with long distance bike riding. So, riding my bike from New York City to Roanoke, VA, in Eric’s memory and to honor him at the EMS Memorial just seems like an appropriate thing to do. I solicited others to join me from our Employee Association. Over the course of a couple of months, the final team was formed.

Tree Marsoobian

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The late Kurt Vonnegut, said "the secret to success in any human endeavor is total concentration." Tree I love the way you totally throw yourself into a project. I know you and the entire 2007 EMS bike team will be successful in this effort. Thank you for doing this in memory of Eric and the fallen EMS men and women. Eric was part of a wonderful legion of caring, dedicated individuals and that knowledge lifts our spirit.