Thursday, March 22, 2007

Why Ride? Cheryl Bakhtiari

When I heard about the EMS Memorial Bike Ride, I knew immediately that I should ride. I’ve been in the EMS business for a while and through the years I have known a few EMS folks who have died in the line of duty. This year, ATCEMS paramedics are riding to honor Eric Hanson. I did not know Eric. I have heard a lot about Eric. I know that Eric was young and had a lot of plans. Eric has a supportive family as well. And that is why I will ride. No one in our business lasts long and well without a supportive family. Eric’s family is still here and they must deal with his loss every day. I know personally what it is like to suddenly lose a son at a young age. Many people supported me at the time and now it is time to return the favor. Eric’s family needs to see that they are part of a very large EMS family that will be there for them, not just in the first hours, days and months, but for years to come.

Cheryl Bakhtiari

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said Cheryl.
I want you guys to know that your site, especially the picture of Eric is great!

Can't wait to see you guys in May.

Doug Martin
Dover, NH